Friday 26 April 2013

Before and After ~ Kitchen Tiles

Our kitchen doesn't get a lot of natural light, and the black kitchen tiles don't help matters, it just looks dark and gloomy. Ideally we would have like to have new tiles, but seen as we are trying to keep costs down I thought I would try painting them.

We bought Ronseal one coat paint in natural stone. Following instructions, I completely scrubbed down the tiles with bleach and thoroughly dried them - my arms were aching before I had even started painting!



I put masking tape along the edges of the work surfaces to protect them.

No going back now!
The tin says its one coat but my advice would be to spread the paint really thinly otherwise it drips. I kept going back over what I had done to check for drips.

Work the paint into the grout first and then paint all in a vertical direction.

Here are some pictures of the first coat finished:


The tin says to leave 16 hours between coats, I left 20 hours but the paint bubbled on the second coat. So, I opened the kitchen window and waited another 24 hours before trying again.

Its now finished and I'm so pleased with the results, our dark kitchen is now lovely and light! Here are the before and after pictures:







Now, I really want to change the cupboard doors but to keep with our 'make do' ethos, I'm going to see about changing the handles and painting the doors. Watch this space!

Thank you for reading xx


Today I'm joining in with these parties:
A return to Loveliness

11 comments:

  1. Tracy, Your kitchen makes the most of the natural light you do have now. The white looks fantastic! I am Sherry from The Charm of Home. Thank you so much for joining me! You are almost done "linking up." What you need to do next is click on the title of this post, "Painting the Kitchen Tiles," and when you see that in the url or web address bar above copy that address, with the copy and paste tools. Now come to the Home Sweet Home party and scroll down to the bottom of the party. Here it says "Add Your Link." Click there. You paste your web address in and then add your title of your post and then your email. After that it will give you a choice of what photo to add. I always choose select from blog and then my actual post pictures are the ones I can add to the thumbnail link. You may choose a picture and you can even crop it to suit. Then click the button at the bottom and it will add the link to the party. The last box to come up for me is a choice to tweet my link, if your on twitter. That may not come up if you are not on Twitter. I hope this helps! I am so glad you joined Home Sweet Home! Thank you! I will be looking for your link. If you have any trouble just let me know I can fix it from my end if it gives you any trouble.
    Hugs,
    Sherry

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Sherry, Thank you so much for your advice, I'm completely new to link parties :) I think I have done it wrong, I added my post but put my blog instead of picking a blog post and put my name instead of the name of the post (doh!). Its showing as no.130 on your blog post. I will try again next time now I know how to do it. Thanks again, Tracy x

      Delete
  2. Hi Tracy, what a difference! You have worked very hard on this and you deserve the good result. I think the black looked stylish but the white also looks stylish and really lightens and brightens your kitchen. Well done you! Cant wait to see more of your before and after projects. Mandy x
    PS I re-potted my sweet peas but they have not seemed happy since. Have now put outside but don't think they going to be a success. Oh well. There is always next year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mandy! My sweet peas are still on the kitchen windowsill (as you can probably see), I was going to put them out this week as the weather seemed better but apparently we are having frost this weekend so hoping to put them out next week. I'm sorry yours haven't survived, maybe you could try buying sweet pea plants and planting those out instead? Then you can still enjoy the flowers over the summer.Fingers crossed for better weather soon! Tracy xx

      Delete
  3. What a transformation! It totally changes and lightens your kitchen!Sounds a lot of work but well worth the effort, and thanks for sharing tips on leaving it longer between coats.
    We too have a darkish kitchen, and black work tops with multi-coloured tiles popular 10+ years ago don't help. I've painted the cupboards in Farrow and Ball New white and Old white and have been wondering what to do about the tiles. Now thanks to you I think I know!
    Gill xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! It was time consuming but definitely worth it, its now going in the direction I want! Are you pleased with your painted cupboards? I really want to paint mine a lighter colour and then hopefully I will like the contrast of the light tiles and cupboards against the darker worktops and kickboards...thats the plan anyway :) xx

      Delete
  4. Love the new look! It really did lighten up your kitchen. I don't think I would have thought of painting the tile. Can't wait to see what you do next. Thanks for sharing with SYC.
    hugs,
    Jann

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Glad you like it, I'm really pleased with the result! I have lots of plans up my sleeve for the kitchen but whilst the sun is out I am making the most of it and doing projects in the garden :) Thanks again, Tracy x

      Delete
  5. It looks wonderful! I can't wait to paint my cabinets, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!Look forward to seeing your results x

      Delete

I would love to hear from you xx

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...